Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
Medicinal cannabis products Australia
Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription. The Australian medical cannabis market now hosts over 400 legal medical cannabis products through the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) access pathways. There are also various products that doctors prescribe via compounding pharmacies. Because medical cannabis is so new in Australia and the advertising of medical cannabis is not allowed, it’s very difficult for both patients and doctors to know what’s available.
In this article, we’ll not only give you some of the medical cannabis product basics, we’ll also give you a list of products available to patients via the TGA cannabis access pathways. Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription It’s important to note that this article is not intended for advertising purposes. This article and the list of products below are for medical cannabis patients to learn more about the types of products available, find a list of products that they can talk to their doctor about, or direct their doctors when their doctors are new to medical cannabis. Medical cannabis doesn’t work for everyone, has contraindications and can cause side effects. Only you and your doctor can decide if medical cannabis is right for you. 420auweed.com
In this article, we’ll cover the following topics:
- What types of medical cannabis products are there?
- What mix of cannabinoids (i.e. THC vs CBD) are available?
- Which medical cannabis product is best for me?
- Intro to a list of medical cannabis products (read before going through the list)
What types of medical cannabis products are there?
When most people think of cannabis they think of smoking the flower or bud of the plant. When it comes to legal medical cannabis, doctors may prescribe a flower product for vaporization. However, the most common form of medical cannabis product is an oil. And, flower and oils are not the only types of medical cannabis products available in Australia. Here are the different types that doctors can prescribe (in alphabetical order): Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
- Flower (including granulated flower)
- Oil vapes
One of the most important things to know about the different types of products is that they have different onset, effect and impairment windows. Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
For example, while oils may take longer to affect, called ‘onset of action’, the impact of taking cannabis, called ‘duration of action’ in oil form lasts longer. Besides the fact that smoking and vaping are not great for your lungs, doctors typically start patients on an oil because the effects last longer and can provide relief from symptoms over a more extended period than vaping.
What mix of cannabinoids (ie THC vs CBD) are available?
The simple answer to this question is pretty much everything. When people talk about medical cannabis, they usually bring up CBD oil. The term CBD oil is a bit confusing because it sounds like an oil that’s only CBD. However, there are multiple types of CBD oil. And, these types are defined by the cannabinoid content in the actual oil. Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
Legal medical cannabis products include:
- Full spectrum
- Broad spectrum
This means that you can be prescribed products that contain:
- CBD only
- THC only
- CBD & THC
- A mixed ratio of the cannabinoids CBD & THC
- All of the cannabinoids and terpenes that were in the original plant. (CBC, CBG and CBN are some of the other popular cannabinoids)
- A CBD or THC only product with terpenes added back in
While it was once difficult to learn which products are which, you can now find out via our cannabis medicines database, Catalyst.
To learn about the different types of CBD oil you can read our types of CBD oil article.
Which medical cannabis product is best for me?
We often get asked questions like, “What is the best medical cannabis products for anxiety?” or ,”What is the best cannabis product for pain?”
We know that CBD and THC have specific medicinal properties, and some of the properties overlap. We also know that for certain conditions, like epilepsy, CBD can be very beneficial. However, most of the time, the effects of cannabis are often unique to an individual.
Because cannabis works differently for everyone, there rarely is a ‘best’ type of product for an individual or a condition. You and your doctor will work out which product type is best for you over a period of time. Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
A List Of Legal Medical Cannabis Products In Australia
Before you start reading through the individual lists, there are a few things to note:
- Prices change frequently and therefore are not listed.
- In the list below, many of these products will look similar. To differentiate, you will need to look at the detailed product specs or Certificates of Analysis (CoAs) to get more detail.
- Some products contain larger amounts of minor cannabinoids like CBC, CBN or CBG.
- To learn more about each of the three points above, and to see condition/symptom specific product feedback, we recommend you check out our cannabis medicines database, Catalyst. Medical cannabis products available in Australia via prescription
- Once you’ve reviewed the products, if you’re looking for a local doctor or nurse practitioner, you can use this tool to find local cannabis doctors in Australia.